Tuesday 21 October 2014

Review: How to be a Pirate


I have to admit I enjoyed the second book much more than the first one - even though I did have much fun reading the first installment, too. But here's what made How to Be a Pirate just that little bit better:

- Hiccup, the hero of the story, discovers a few hidden talents of his, and the reader gets a glimpse of the great leader that he will eventually become. I love the slow development in these books - it really feels like watching Hiccup gradually mature, it's not at all rushed, and yet Hiccup still gets his occasional moments to shine.

- I liked Stoick much better in this book - he seemed to care more (obviously) for his son, and the way he fought to rescue him from the Skullions was really touching.

- The plot just fit together really well - it's like in Harry Potter, when Harry will pick up something seemingly insignificant early on in the book, which will then turn out to be the clue to solving the mystery at the end. I love it when authors make their readers pay attention to their writing!

To sum it up: I loved the book from (almost) the beginning (it was a little bit slow to pick up) and would definitely recommend it to any child (or adult!) who wants to have some reading fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment