Wednesday 12 November 2014

Dickens Readalong!

Since my best friend decided she really wanted to read some Dickens, but just never found the time to do it I suggested we do a readalong - which I was totally inspired to do by the fabulous Bex at An Armchair by the Sea. (I seem to be recommending other book blogs daily now!) She's organising a readalong of The Pickwick Papers from mid-November till Christmas, which I would have loved to take part in if uni wasn't killing me right now. Literally. (Glaring misuse of the word literally right there ...)

ANYWAY, even though I think I can't manage five chapters a week (pathetic, I know!) I think I should be able to do about two, which is what we've agreed on. So we're going to read at least two chapters of Oliver Twist every week! Wooohooo - expect some Dickens blogging in the future!

In other news, I've read a fair bit of The American over the last few days (because uni sucks and I never seem to be doing stuff I'm actually going to get marks on) - so hopefully there'll be an update on that soon too! I think I'm going to do a post on some of the characters - especially Newman!

And finally, there's a really interesting article in the guardian that I've read today - Princeton University Press seems to have published the Grimm fairy tales in their original, first edition version ... i.e. the bloody, violent, sexy version. It's quite jarring to know how brutal these stories really were - but also fascinating. For example, Rapunzel actually got pregnant by her prince and that's how Mother Gothel found out about her man visitor. And there seems to be a story in which a mother actually killed her daughters and ate them because she was so hungry ... 


See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment